Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Graduation Lines

Graduation season. Plenty of speeches before audiences with robes and square hats. I attended my alma mater's graduation because I get to play a role; our speaker was an archeologist (should I say, dig it? Nah) who started out by telling the students that they were entering a dangerous world. Not a sentiment that would fill me with confidence as I got my hard-earned degree.

Here's something more energizing, from Marian Wright Edelman of the Children's Defense Fund, who spoke at Colgate University:
  • Don’t feel entitled to anything you haven’t sweated or struggled for.
  • Set thoughtful goals.
  • Don’t wait around for someone to direct what you do. Take the initiative yourself.
  • Don’t work just for money.
  • Don’t be afraid of risk or criticism.
  • Take parenting and family life seriously.
  • Listen for the genuine in yourself.
  • Never think life isn’t worth living.

No comments: