Monday, January 28, 2008

Poetry from the Hudson train

Suspension Bridge

A string of light outlines a bridge
against the empty blackness of night
I have no proof the structure really exists
as I look out the darkened window of this train;
I see no road, no massive legs, no railing,
Not even the shine of water rushing underneath,
reflecting the suspended incandescence.

For all I know, a random celestial elf
hung that string around the stars
just to announce a party.
She will supply the music and games,
while we bring food and drinks.
Only then will the singular bulbs explode in light
And break the bounds of our own thirsty souls.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

David, Thanks so much for posting this link at the bottom of your email to the AAEB. I am very glad to be reading this! Glad to see that you are doing well and we miss you.
Wendy Myers